Celebrate the Holidays in Good Taste with Phoenicia: Wines, Stocking Stuffers & Gourmet Gifts!
by Lauren McDowell • November 15, 2021
It’s no secret that Phoenicia is the city’s go-to spot for a dizzying array of gourmet international foods and hard-to-find ingredients.
Every trip to the two-story location at 1001 Austin Street yields new discoveries and culinary possibilities, and that’s never been more needed than this holiday season when families and friends are ready to celebrate together with renewed excitement.
Whether you’re stuffing stockings or simply stuffing your guests, there’s a lot to love about the offerings at the impressive Downtown emporium.
Phoenicia’s second-generation owners, siblings Haig and Ann-Marie Tcholakian, work together to offer lots of products year-round, but the holidays are particularly ripe for new and unique products. With the help of Ann-Marie, who oversees buying plus creative and retail operations, and Haig, who heads up wine, beer, and Phoenicia’s social media/PR, this guide will give you plenty of ideas for celebrating the holidays in style.
5 WINES TO WET YOUR WHISTLE
Whether you’re toasting, sipping, or pairing with food, good wine can make any gathering happy and bright. Check out these picks from Haig, who curates the beer and wine selection at Phoenicia and MKT BAR.
Keush Origins Brut: Delicate bubbles, traditionally made in the Champagne method in Armenia. A delightful aperitif or pairing with holiday spreads. Great wine and conversation starter.
Domaine de La Bastide Cotes du Rhone Rosé: Delicious, complex rosé that has plenty of fruit to match with turkey or glazed ham.
Chateau Bel-Air Pomerol: Wine buyer’s favorite region of Bordeaux, France. This region offers some of the most elegant wines for reasonable prices. Soft enough for the pinot lover, but hearty enough for those who like more complex wines.
Angelo Negro Bianco Unfiltered: A favorite boutique white from Piedmont, Italy. Uniquely, unfiltered with plenty of fruit, stone, and mineral touches to make white wine drinkers smile at your holiday party.
Bodegas Marta Mate “El Holgazan” Tempranillo: Wonderful, smooth red that is a perfect sub for pinot noir, often served with those big holiday birds. Spice up the season with something different!
THE MOST WONDERFUL TIME (AND PRODUCTS) OF THE YEAR
Even those who find it hard to get into the holiday spirit can appreciate that part of the season’s magic comes from special items that are only available between November and January. Phoenicia’s international smorgasbord makes it easy to travel the globe by taste, if not by plane ticket. These items are only available for a limited time, so don’t miss out.
1) Kuchenmeister classic stolen cake from Germany: This classic Christmas cake from Germany features raisins and orange peels. Serve plain or with a generous dab of butter.
2) Schluckwerder marzipan covered in chocolate from Germany: Sweetened almond paste and milk chocolate create a chewy, sweet snack.
3) La Florentine almond bar from Italy: This traditional Italian nougat bar is made with crunchy almonds, golden honey, pure cane sugar, and fluffy egg whites.
4) Bauducco classic mini panettone from Brazil: Candied fruit and raisins dot this airy, moist cake made in the Italian tradition by the Bauducco family in Brazil.
5) Hammond’s Classic Fantastic Candies from Colorado: These holiday classics from the Hammond’s family include mini ribbons candy, art candy, and peppermint straws. The colorful tin makes this a great gift, whether it’s for yourself or someone else.
6) Fresh seasonal chestnuts: Roast them on an open fire, in the oven, or on your grill.
7) Butlers Christmas fudge from Ireland: The flavors of a British Christmas pudding are distilled into this raisin-studded fudge from Ireland, packed in a festive red box, and all tied up with a ribbon.
8) Reber Mozart Kugeln: Mixed nuts in chocolate from Germany
9) Buffalo Bayou German chocolate cake stout from Houston: From the local brewers at Buffalo Bayou, this stout takes the flavors of German chocolate cake and distills them into a hearty, malty dark beer.
10) Keyifce antep fistikli pistachio, date molasses rolls from Turkey: These sweet, Turkish rolls represent a thinner version of Turkish delight, with pistachio and date fillings, respectively.
11) Zaitoune Sweets mixed baklava from Turkey: A variety of the sweet and crispy desserts Turkey made famous, in one lovely gifting box.
8 STOCKING STUFFERS
The Tcholakians recommend these thoughtful gifts when you’re on the hunt for stocking stuffers, holiday party offerings, and shareable office treats.
Ticket hot chocolate on a stick
SRSLY chocolate cranberry orange, and Party! (vanilla, white chocolate)