Downtown pulses with life, and our foremost mission is to ensure that every beat is safe. Through a robust multi-layered public safety strategy, we are persistently vigilant. Guided by a monthly committee and reinforced by regular collaborations with HPD, we're committed to making Downtown not just vibrant, but also safe for all. Dive in to learn how we're shaping a safer tomorrow, today.
Downtown Public Safety Guides
- Daily coverage from 7 A.M to 11 P.M.
- The Safety Guides, funded by the Houston Downtown Management District (HDMD) patrol Downtown daily, focusing on the busiest pedestrian areas while offering extra support for special events. DPSGs are present throughout Downtown and are easily identified with white shirts and blue hats.
- Active foot patrols throughout Downtown.
- Concentrates on combining hospitality with safety, offering a visible on-street presence.
- Dedicated presence in Main Street Square and Market Square & Trebly Parks.
Off-Duty Police Officers
- Off-Duty HPD Officers proactively patrol Downtown every day.
- Patrols are done using police-marked golf carts.
- These officers augment the uniformed police presence and bridge communication between Downtown Public Safety Guides and on-duty law enforcement.
- They develop lasting relationships with the community they patrol on foot and are continually working to alleviate the challenges and negative impacts associated with civility issues.
SEAL Private Security
- Licensed security officers patrol Downtown, available 24/7 all year round.
- Patrols are executed both on foot and in marked vehicles.
- Security Officers are armed and professionally uniformed, focused solely on Downtown's safety.
- Undergo extensive annual training in de-escalation and proactive patrol strategies.
Downtown Public Safety Office
- A dedicated satellite office for our homeless outreach teams and other partners aimed at housing the vulnerable.
- Designed for maximum visibility for security and law enforcement personnel.
- Positioned to be a routine drop-in spot for HPD officers.
- Its key strategy ensures consistent "eyes on the street" – a tried and tested approach enhancing public safety for decades.
Each year, we direct close to $1 million through the Downtown Redevelopment Authority to HPD. These funds are chiefly allocated to uphold civility ordinances and combat motor vehicle break-ins, ensuring a safer environment for all.
Need Assistance? For emergencies, dial 911
The HDMD has rolled out a streamlined service to make it even easier for stakeholders to request clean & safe services from our dedicated teams. Reach out at 713-223-2003 for a swift and professional response:
- Downtown Public Safety Guides for general information, directions, safety escorts, and addressing quality of life concerns.
- Downtown Cleaning Ambassadors to assist with pressure washing, litter clearance, graffiti removal, and bio-hazard cleanups.
- SEAL Security for issues related to aggressive panhandling, trespassing, public intoxication, and noise ordinance violations.
- District Operations for inquiries about the trash program, outreach services, landscaping/irrigation, and street light outages.
Remember, your safety and well-being are our prime focus. Always feel free to reach out to us at 713-223-2003 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Download Downtown Public Safety Card